Monday, June 28, 2010

Astronautalis: Astronovelis

So this is why I love twitter:

Earlier today I was listening to Astronautalis while wondering why the hell I named my blog 'Rainbow Report'. I jokingly offered 'Astronovelis' as a potential title, being sure to "@reply" the rapper in my tweet. A couple hours later I receive this tweet from Andy 'Astronautalis' Bothwell himself:

@JanayKinney is that my book blog?

I told him it could be. Like most people that read my blog I am an avid reader and am always looking to add my list of books to read as much as my list of bands to check out. So I took the opportunity to find out what Astro (would he hate that nickname?) was reading as of late:

@JanayKinney "Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla" by Marc J. Siefer & "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville

I'll admit to being pleasantly shocked by the answer. Although I have no idea what I expected the answer to be. I've read the first few chapters of "...Nikola Tesla" before caving under the pressure to purchase and complete "The Lovely Bones" before it was released in theaters a few months ago. I'll definitely be getting back to it soon. And "Moby Dick", classic, not many original things I can think to say about it. It appears to be an old favorite of Andy's:

@JanayKinney i hadn't read it in over a decade...it is still great. my favorite author is a big Melville fan and so im going on a tear!

Astronautalis has a way with words. He spins them with art and I find myself obsessing over his lyrics the way I'm sometimes caught on a sentence in a book wondering "Wow...that was clever, how did they do that?". So when someone whose words effect me like that recommends something full of words they think are worth reading I take it to heart:

@JanayKinney Mark Helprin. greatest living writer. start with either "A Soldier of the Great War" or "The Pacific" THEN read "Winter's Tale"



LINKS!!!

Photo by: Jaime "Wojo4hitz" Wojdowski (http://twitter.com/wojo4hitz)

No comments: